Armchair BEA Day 1: Let's Talk Classics!

May 28, 2013

I'm so so glad this is the topic for the first discussion! Classics are my one of my most favourite genres. IT actually was my favourite for a long time before I found Young Adult books, and got pushed to second place. But they still hold a special place (I started my adventure with books with a classic - Kidnapped by R L Stevenson.), and I believe very, very few works of literature can ever compare with those evergreen stories.



What Brings Me Back
 Ive always wondered, what is is about classics that makes everyone love them so much? I know there are people who find them boring (eg: my Mum who still hasn't finished reading Pride & Prejudice though she's the one who introduced it to us), but the vast majority finds them entertaining. To have lasted for so many years against the test of time, there must be something in them.

For me, it is that they are about such varied subjects, and not only romance, like most books nowadays. Love and all that is all very good, and I do agree that the best stories are always (well, almost) love stories, but that's not the only thing in the world, you know. Its sad that nowadays, if a book of a certain genre makes it big in the market, from then on there will be a flood of books on the same genre. I dont know, doesnt it seem like we're limiting ourselves?

Anyways, I've veered off the topic. Getting back to classics... Yesteryear authors had this way of weaving an engaging story from nothing more than a girl's (/boy's) life. It's a normal life, nothing paranormal, or extraordinary; just another girl. But the characters, the things that drive them, the element of reality that is present in them has us returning to them time and again. Perfect example: L M Montgomery. Her Emily series, or Anne of Green Gables series, are simply wonderful.

Another thing... it's the classics that always have the 'quote worthy' lines. Be it insightful titbits about life, or dnjoying nature, it's got it all. And the lack of explicit language and scenes - that is one of greatest things about these books. You can even give it to a kid without having to think whether its age appropriate.

If you ask me, classics provide you a wholesome reading experience that you wont get from any other genre.

My favourites?

Okay, favourite authors - Jane Austen, L M Montgomery, Louisa May Alcott. Pick up any book of theirs, and I guarantee that you'll love it.

My favourite books are several, but Pride & Prejudice by Jane Austen and The Blue Castle by L M Montgomery are the top two. Pride and Prejudice requires no intro or ecplanation, so I'm not going to say anything about that. But The Blue Castle... I find it amazing that a lot of people haven't read or even heard of this book. Everyone seems to know about the Anne books, but not this. It's a beautiful, beautiful story about a girl who sets ou to rediscover herself when she realises that her life holds nothing of value for her. Since I've foud out that so many haven't read it, it's sorta become my standard recomendation :) So if you haven't read it, go.

And I was thinking, wouldn't be more fun if we all read it together? Like a read-a-long? If any of you would be interested in something like that, leave a comment. I'm just getting feelers out to see what the response would be.

P.S.: And if you've already read The Blue Castle, I'd love to hear. I get so happy when I meet someoone who's read it! :D

5 comments :

  1. Way cool! Some extremely valid points! I appreciate you writing this article plus the rest
    of the website is also really good.

    My blog; rekuperator

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE The Blue Castle! I was introduced to it three years ago by my best friend. I've only read an ecopy though...I've got an eye out for a print copy that I hope to own some day in the next few years.I personally wouldn't mind doing a re-read of it along with others. It would be so worth it!

    Risa @ http://breadcrumbreads.wordpress.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw that's great! I know, me too :( I've been searching for a hard copy for a couple of years now, but it always seems to be out of stock when I go!

      Delete
  3. Its always nice to find another reader who enjoys the classics! I hope you do get a chance to check out The Classics Club! It really is a lot of fun, and a friendly and supportive community! -Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the recommendation! I had not heard of The Blue Castle (and I haven't read any LM Montgomery), so I will add this one to my list, for sure.

    ReplyDelete

Leave a comment and say hi! Anything else is great too! :D

This blog is an award free blog. I'm truly honoured that you would think to nominate me, but unfortunately, things are really hectic for me what with juggling college, books, and blogging, and I find myself unable to spread the awards to other deserving bloggers.