Book Tour & Author Interview: The Long Way by Aaron Redfern

May 19, 2013

Title: The Long Way
Author: Aaron Redfern
Age Group: Young Adult
Genre: Fantasy
Release Date: May 19, 2012
Amazon  B & N
In a move that defies all logic and likelihood, a young boy named Spiff is called upon to carry out the most important quest that has ever been undertaken. His mission drags him headlong across the face of the world, through a veritable pantheon of hardships and threats that are at once chilling and baffling. Along the way he meets dragons and madmen, and learns that the lovable and the monstrous are two sides of the same coin.
Conceived as a darkly whimsical loose retelling of the Tolkien saga, The Long Way poses the question that high fantasy rarely cares to ask: Why?
Author Interview


Hello, Aaron! It's so great to have you on the blog today! So let's jump right in, shall we?

1.What inspired you to write your first book?
I've been writing fiction since I was about nine years old, and I've been inspired to write some novel or other for about as long as I can remember.  My middle and high school years were strewn with the beginnings of novels that never went anywhere, but the first one I actually completed was The Long Way.  It's based partly on stories my dad invented for me when I was a kid and partly on a story I started to create for my younger brothers many years later.  I wrote the first draft for National Novel Writing Month in 2007.

2. Is there a message in your novel that you want readers to grasp?
I just hope that they enjoy it and maybe learn a little bit about their own personal journeys while they read it!

3. If you had to choose, which writer would you consider a mentor?
Everything I know about writing, I learned from from reading.  Many, many writers have had things to teach me, but I think I've learned the most from Stephen King and George R. R. Martin.  They're both excellent
at putting together a good story and developing characters.

4. What book are you reading now?

Well, I accidentally left Paul West's The Place in Flowers Where Pollen Rests on a plane in Atlanta last week, so I hope somebody else will enjoy that one.  I'm currently spending a bit of time with Night Mare
by Piers Anthony, a cute little fantasy romp that I read back in high school, before moving on to my next serious read: Book of the New Sun by Gene Wolfe.

5. What are your current projects?
At the moment, I'm primarily focused on creating a website for myself, but I'm trying to keep up with my short fiction and write a little bit of everything.  My last three major stories have been horror, detective noir  (sort of), and sci-fi romance.  I'm currently working on a short story about a supernatural dive bar in small-town Connecticut.

6. Give us three "Good to Know" facts about you. Be creative. Tell us about your first job, the inspiration for your writing, any fun details.
-I spent several years out of college working at a studio that restores stained glass windows.
-The home of the Nornmen in The Long Way is based on Valhalla, the viking afterlife.
-I've done dessert marathons across three cities in two countries, but hopefully that's just the beginning.  It's great inspiration for writing...yeah, that's it...


Thank you so much for answering my questions, Aaron! It was wonderful having you here! :D

About The Author:

Aaron Redfern has been reading and writing fantasy since a time when he could count his age on his fingers. He went to Williams College and studied English, a language in which he was already proficient, and although he learned almost nothing from the English professors, dead poets and novelists taught him a great deal. While at college, he fell thoroughly in love with New England. He has decided never to leave and currently resides near Northampton, Massachusetts.

Aaron has written three novels, including The Long Way and its sequel, The Forgotten Way. His short-fiction titles include Stories About the Rain and Crawl.

1 comment :

  1. There is also a big giveaway for Aaron Redfern's book blog tour - find out at the BookRix Blog:
    http://blog.bookrix.com/2013/05/16/the-long-way-book-review-blog-tour-giveaway/

    1st Prize: $100 Amazon gift card, a BookRix sampler pack and a t-shirt

    2nd Prize: $50 Amazon gift card and 2 eBooks

    3rd Prize: $25 Amazon gift card and an eBook

    ReplyDelete

Leave a comment and say hi! Anything else is great too! :D

This blog is an award free blog. I'm truly honoured that you would think to nominate me, but unfortunately, things are really hectic for me what with juggling college, books, and blogging, and I find myself unable to spread the awards to other deserving bloggers.