Bout of Books 7.0 Read-a-thon Sign Up, Goals & Updates

May 11, 2013


The Bout of Books read-a-thon is organized by Amanda @ On a Book Bender and Kelly @ Reading the Paranormal. It is a week long read-a-thon that begins 12:01am Monday, May 13th and runs through Sunday, May 19th in whatever time zone you are in. Bout of Books is low-pressure, and the only reading competition is between you and your usual number of books read in a week. There are challenges, giveaways, and a grand prize, but all of these are completely optional. For all Bout of Books 7.0 information and updates, be sure to visit the Bout of Books blog. - From the Bout of Books team
I happened to find out about the Bout of Books Read-a-thon a few days back from The Reader's Den, and it sounds like fun, so I decided to join in!


I'm planning to read the following books:


But they might change over the course of the week, with my mood.

My Goals

  • To try to finish reading the books mentioned above, or at least 5 books, even if they're not from those above.
  • To DEFINITELY finish The Fault in Our Stars, because the amount of time I'm taking to finish it is becoming embarrassing.
  • Take part in at least two challenges.
  • Take part in a Twitter chat (though I really dont know what it is!)
  • Write at least two reviews?
  • Meet and make more friends!

This sounds like a great way to meet fellow book lovers, and I'm really looking forward to that :)

I will be keeping track of my progress on Twitter, and of course, right here on the blog!

If you want to sign up, you still can (sign ups are open till Wednesday night). You can to the official page by clicking the button above. And if do sign up, or you already have, do leave me a comment below with a link to your sign up post. I'd love to talk books! :)

Updates 

Monday
 
Books I've read today: The Fault in Our Stars by John Green
Pages read today: 121
Books completed today: 0
Running read-a-thon total: 121 pages, 0 books
Thoughts: I started from where I stopped, and needed a few minutes to understand where I was and what was going on, but after that, got sucked right in. It is John Green, after all. 
Couldn't take part in the Twitter Chat because of the time difference :(

Tuesday

Books I've read today: The Fault in Our Stars by John Green
Pages read today: 192
Books completed today: 1
Running read-a-thon total: 313 pages, 1 book
Thoughts: Almost didnt finish the book. Sat up a bit late and completed it with tears streaming down and sobbing and snorting... you know what I mean. An excellently written book, though I did go a little, "Huh? Why's he talking about the 'scars we leave'?" at the end, got a bit preachy, but I still love it! 
Not writing a review for this one, since I'm probably the last person on earth to read it. Maybe I'll write about what an experience it was :) 

Wednesday

Books I've read today: Insurgent by Veronica Roth
Pages read today: 190
Books completed today: 0
Running read-a-thon total: 503 pages, 1 book
Thoughts: I'm SO glad I started Insurgent at last, though I'm really not looking forward to the infamous cliffhanger at the end. I dont deal well with cliffhangers, if you should know. 

Thursday

Books I've read today: Insurgent by Veronica Roth
Pages read today: 355
Books completed today: Insurgent by Veronica Roth
Running read-a-thon total: 858 pages, 2 books
Thoughts: This book is freaking amazing! And despite the lack of 'action' between Tris and Tobias, I still find myself rereading the paragraphs in which there almost is! And the simulation? Jeanine Matthews MUST DIE!
I cannot believe I missed the chat AGAIN! God, I am stupid. In my defense, it was at 6 am (not much of an excuse, I know). There goes my goal! :(
Challenges: Create A Cover

Friday

Books I've read today: Hale Maree by Misty Provencher
Pages read today: 190
Books completed today: Hale Maree by Misty Provencher
Running read-a-thon total: 1048 pages, 3 books
Thoughts: This was not at all what I was planning to read, but well, it wasn't bad. It as actually good! 

Saturday

Books I've read today: The Blue Castle by L M Montgomery
Pages read today: 218
Books completed today: The Blue Castle by L M Montgomery
Running read-a-thon total: 1266 pages, 4 books
Thoughts: Re-reading this book was one of the best things I've done in a long time! I simply LOVE this woman's writing; it so real, and intense and almost every other line is worth highlighting! I wish people would take more notice of her and wouldn't read only her famous works and like the Anne of Green Gables series. Really people, GO READ THIS BOOK! At least so that I'll have someone to discuss it with!
And finally, I was able to join in on the Twitter chat! Yay! I'm so happy about this :) 

Sunday 

Books I've read today: Twerp by Mark Goldblatt
Pages read today: 10
Books completed today:
Running read-a-thon total: 1276 pages, 4 books
Thoughts: Pitiful number of pages, I know. It's embarrassing to even put it up there. I have no excuse. Other than that life got in the way. Hate when that happens, but, well, life has a way of doing that :/ 
And I wanted to take part in a challenge, and totally forgot about it too. Gah!


Final Thoughts

This read-a-thon was certainly a lot of fun, especially the parts of it other than reading ;) I'm glad I finished most of my goals, especially the Fault in Our Stars one and the reviews. I didn't get much reading done though (much less than normal), but I know that's because of the abnormal number of distractions and disturbances I had this week, so that's okay. I made a lot of friends and met lovely people, and that was great! Definitely looking forward to the next read-a-thon! Kudos, Amanda & Kelly! You guys rock! :D 

Until the next Bout of books... Au revoir

22 comments :

  1. Hello,
    I saw that you were doing the Bout of Books read-a-thon. I've followed you to make sure I get your updates! I would really appreciate it if you could come over to my blog to check it out, and if you like it, you can follow me as well. I hope you'll follow my read-a-thon journey. I blog about my favourite music and books hence the name Music Plus Books.
    Thank you and good luck,
    Music Plus Books
    - Laura

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay so glad you're taking part Fahima. You have some great books to get through! I can't wait to see how you get on with Insurgent and The Fault in Our Stars. Good luck with your goals! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Insurgent is just as good as Divergent! Absolutely amazing! <3
    The Fault in Our Stars, well it's pretty sad at times, but it's great too! Happy Reading! I have added your button to my blog (:

    Kelsey @ Kindle Affairs

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I havent started Insurgent yet, but I think I'm going to finish The Fault in Our Stars much faster just so I can start with that! :)
      Aw thank you so much!

      Delete
    2. I loved Divergent so I can't believe I haven't read my copy of Insurgent yet. I'm really bad with series' I always feel like I have to re-read the books that came before the book I'm due to read. So for example, before I read Insurgent I want to re-read Divergent and then read Insurgent straight after, so I don't pick it up unless I've got the time to read both, I know, a silly habit!

      Good Luck with your goals :D

      Angelica @ Paperback Princess

      Delete
  4. Happy Readathon! It is definitely the social aspect as well as the reading that I'm looking forward to as well :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for stopping by The Lair! I got the name from a book ;-) I don't know how much I'll be around, husband decided to take this week off work instead of next week.

    I still haven't finished Divergent from last year! I cleared off my reading stack for the new year and haven't gotten back to it. At this point I think I wait for book 3 then start over.

    Good luck with your goals!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I totally love your name! So awesome:D
      Lol that's a good idea. That way you don't have to wait endlessly! (that's the part I hate)

      Delete
  6. I also have Twerp in my Netgalley TBR pile :) because I'm participating in The Clean Sweep ARC and Netgalley Challenge, I'm hoping to cross check books for different challenges :D Kinda cheating but…

    I've never heard of The Blue Castle, but I love LM Montgomery's Anne of Green Gables Series and I started reading her Emily series too, yet to get into the latter though.

    Looking forward to hearing your thoughts on the books above and seeing you in a chat :D

    Angelica @ Paperback Princess

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. PS:- I'm yet to read Fault in the Stars, so your not the only one LOL hope you enjoy it :)

      I also hope you enjoy your first Bout of Books Read-a-thon.

      Twitter Chats are just like normal Tweets but everyone's on at the same time and when you put the #boutofbooks hashtag, you see everyone's Tweets, I participated in my first ever Twitter chat (live anyway) yesterday :D

      Delete
    2. I wont call it precisely 'enjoy', but it was definitely an 'experience' :)
      Aw thanks for explaining! :) But I missed the one on Monday and today as well :( I dont think there's another one, so... Well, maybe next time :)

      Delete
  7. I have been putting off avoiding Insurgent for the same reason! I want to read it closer to the release date of Allegiant! Great book choices, and amazing progress!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. lol Kristin, I did the EXACT same thing! But then I got caught up in the Allegiant cover madness and succumbed :D

      Delete
  8. Looks like you are doing a great job! I'm impressed by how many pages you've read. I am have been on the fence about The Fault in Our Stars for a long time—everyone loves it, but the subject matter hits a little close to home for me... maybe after the hype dies down I'll give it a try. Are you liking it so far?

    ReplyDelete
  9. The fault in our stars was heartbreaking, but so gorgeous :)

    Mel@thedailyprophecy.

    ReplyDelete
  10. My BoB goal was three books. I might be able to achieve it, if I stop floating around on other bouters' blogs for a couple of hours. LOL! My goals post: http://madhoydenish.blogspot.com/2013/04/iamreading-level-26-series-bout-of-books.html

    I read dark books during this challenge. I want to read something light and funny next - to shake the edge off. Any suggestions?

    I really liked The Fault in Our Stars too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol, after a certain number of books in one genre, you just need a change for a bit, right? Light and funny? Hmm... Try Amplified by Tara Keely/ The Lovers Dictionary by David Levithan. Or you could also check out my post on light reads here for more options! :D

      Delete
  11. I really need to read TFIOS. It has been sitting on my bookshelf for forever.

    I had a blast with BoB too and really enjoyed getting to know so many awesome bloggers!

    Lisa @ Just Another Rabid Reader

    ReplyDelete
  12. I can't wait for 8.0, either! I loooove Bout of Books - I honestly think it's the best Read-a-Thon out there! And I seriously have to read TFIOS, too. I don't even know what's wrong with me... :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I wanna read the John Green book, too! 'Til next bout of books read-a-thon. :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Lol you know what? I actually dont feel so bad know that I see so many of you haven't read TFiOS :D

    ReplyDelete

Leave a comment and say hi! Anything else is great too! :D

This blog is an award free blog. I'm truly honoured that you would think to nominate me, but unfortunately, things are really hectic for me what with juggling college, books, and blogging, and I find myself unable to spread the awards to other deserving bloggers.