A to Z Book Survey

August 10, 2013

Jamie from The Perpetual Page Turner always comes up with the best bookish stuff. Memes, features, discussion posts, or in this case, survey! Jamie was a Xanga and Myspace addict and totally misses the surveys that she used to do on them, so to bring back some of that mindless fun involved in filling out a survey, she made her own. A bookish survey!

Or more specifically the...
A to Z book survey


I didn't realise this until after I thought about it for a bit, but it seems that I love surveys as well. There's a certain FUN in filling them out. When the questions are interesting, they're so much more fun, figuring out what your answer will be and comparing them with others and all that. So naturally, when Jamie put up an A to Z book survey of all things, I couldn't resist giving it a go!

So here goes!

Author you’ve read the most books from

Okay, I was definitely surprised to see this, but Goodreads says it's Linda Howard, and Goodreads never makes mistakes. I went through a phase a couple of years ago, when I became obsessed with the romantic suspense genre, and felt (and still do, closely followed by Nora Roberts, but they often interchange positions) Linda Howard was the best, so I ended up read a LOT of her books.

Best sequel ever

This survey is quickly making me aware of the need to have different shelves for stuff in Goodreads. I keep my shelves to a little over the bare minimum, so now I have to go crawl through ALL of my books to look for series. Sigh.

Okay, I'm back.

With Inkspell by Cornelia Funke, Eldest by Christopher Paolini and Crossed by Ally Condie. All three did not fall into the dreaded Unfortunate Second Book Slump, with in itself is great, but other than that, they're also oh-so-amazing books set in imaginative worlds that take your breath away. And despite it recently coming to my notice that Paolini's creatures have an uncanny resemblance to Tolkien's, I still think it's a great series, and Eldest was so much better than Eragon! Crossed I love for Ally Condie's language and the different sub plots she introduced in that book and her beautiful, beautiful writing. I give a lot of importance to writing.

Currently reading

Looking for alibrandi by Melina Marchetta. Which I've been reading since August 5th, and today is August 10th and I am completely ashamed of this. I am simply loving this book, so it's not lack of interest that's making me take so long to finish. It's life. That wonderful, exciting, horrid, sad phenomenon called 'life'.


 

 

Drink of choice while reading

Nothing, usually. I dont usuallyeat or drink while eating, for fear that, horror of horrors, some will fall on the book! But if I have to choose, it would be water, lemonade or coffee. In that order. My Mum makes awesome lemonade, that tastes so much better when taken in sips, little by little. Perfect during reading pauses.

E-reader or physical book

Aah.. this one is like a tug of war that never ends. Physical books! I love the feel of the paper in my hand and turning the pages, and I'm kind of a cover freak and go around stroking book covers. And it's only with a physical book that I get the feeling of having actually read a book. But I do read ebooks too.

Fictional character you probably would have actually dated in high school

Umm... you're probably (definitely) going to find this odd, but I dont date. But if I did, then Barney Snaith from The Blue Castle. But he would be too old for a high school me. So this is more for a present me. He loves reading, he writes, he knows how to be quiet when talking is just unnecessary and he knows how to see the little things that make this world a joy to be in, among many more wonderful things. Is it any wonder that I would (love, and) want to date him? If I did date, that is. This is all hypothetical, and in my head.

Glad you gave this book a chance

Amplified by Tara Kelly. I had absolutely no plans to read this book. I had seen it around a lot, but the blurb just didn't sound like I wanted to read at that moment, so I kept giving it a pass. Then one fine day, the blurb actually sounded good, so I picked it up, and I'm so glad I did!

Hidden gem book

The Blue Castle by L M Montgomery. Like, seriously. I feel like it's the most underrated classic around. Most people seem to know Montgomery only for her Anne of Green Gables series, but guys, she has written so many more books that will rock your socks off! I am not kidding. Give the Emily of New Moon series and Jane of Lantern Hill a try. You wont regret it. And READ THE BLUE CASTLE. You will thank me for the rest of your life. No kidding.

Important moment in your reading life

When I discovered the existence of book blogs. I've always loved books, but have had the unfortunate fate to always have peers who have no interest in reading. So I had no one to discuss books with except my sister. And then book blogs came into my life, and I found people who loved books and did not mind talking and writing and thinking about them all the time.

Just finished

Hover by Melissa West, book 2 in The Taking series, who's review I've temporarily abandoned in favour of this survey :D

Kinds of books you won’t read

I read pretty much anything that sounds interesting and give a try to anything that has been raved about everywhere, even if it's outside my comfort zone. But erotica and me don't go together. Also, religious fiction. Though I should probably give the latter a try. Try to broaden my horizons a bit. Maybe.

Longest book you’ve read

Gone with The Wind by Margaret Mitchell. Please dont say anything, but I didn't like this book. At all. like, seriously. I had to force my self to finish it.

Major book hangover because of

Harry Potter. I cried at the end of the books, and then I cried again at the end of the last movie, when it set in that this really was the end of it all. I grew up with Harry potter, man. It was like leaving one more bit of my childhood behind. I'm still not over it. I dont think I ever will be.

Number of bookcases you own

Three. But my books would fill only one, I think. The rest are full of my parents' books, so they dont really count. And a lot of my books are stuffed into random nooks and crannies and in my college books shelf too.

One book you have read multiple times

Pride and Prejudice. The first time I read it, I was 11, and since then, I've revisited the book several times. We used to have this old, worn out copy of the book that my mother borrowed from my cousin and never returned. The irony of the thing is that it was my mother who recommended the book to both my sister & I, but she's never read it herself. She says she just cant get past the first chapter. I sitll cant believe it, and it's proof of my poor persuasion skills that she still hasn't read it. Admittedly, she always way too busy for some light reading, but still... my mother!

Preferred place to read

My bed. Hands down. And if I had a window seat, I would totally love to read there.

Quote that inspires you/gives you all the feels from a book you’ve read

I'm a quotes lover, and collect awesome quotes from the books I love. My favourite book quote?

“Love is always patient and kind. It is never jealous. Love is never boastful or conceited. It is never rude or selfish. It does not take offense and is not resentful. Love takes no pleasure in other people’s sins, but delights in the truth. It is always ready to excuse, to trust, to hope, and to endure whatever comes.” - A Walk to Remember by Nicholas Sparks

I saw the movie before I read the book (in my defense, I'd never heard of Nicholas Sparks before), and these lines just took my breath away. I then got my hands on the book, and when I found these lines... Ok, I dont know why, but these lines always fill me with an inexplicable sense of joy and hope in love and that it does exist in this extremely cynical world, and a bit of a weepy feeling. It's just the perfect description of love and all that it encompasses. 

Reading regret

Hmm... nothing, really. But I do have a book related regret, and that's not finding book blogs sooner than I did. They would've made my life so much more fun and I wouldn't have felt alone (book related alone, that is) all those years when I had no one to talk to books about. I also slightly regret that I started book blogging so late, but I wouldn't change that if I could, because I know that I started it when I was ready, and if I had started before then, it wouldn't have been as good as it is.

Series you started and need to finish (all books are out)

I always finish a series I start. The only ones I've abandoned are the ones that I didn't like at all, but I still read atleast two books before giving up. There is, however, a series that I haven't started, and hasn't finished, and I'm in two minds whether to read or not: the Shatter Me series by Tahereh Mafi. Everyone is raving about it, and it makes me so jealous that I haven't read it (which is weird, considering why I'm not reading it), but I dont like love triangles, but I really want to read this these books, and this is the only thing that stopping me. Give me a push? I have a feeling I'd cave in with some persuasion. Tell me why you loved these books (if you did) and if I should read them inspite of not liking love triangles?

P.S.: Did you see the cover of Ignite Me? It's so pretty! 

Three of your all-time favorite books

The Blue Castle by L M Montgomery, Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen and the Harry Potter series by J K Rowling.

Unapologetic fangirl for

(I was actually wondering why would I ever apologise for loving a book, but then I thought of this)

...Tracey Garvis Graves, the author of On The Island. I actually got a lot of flak for loving this book from some of my friends, but it's not a New York Times Bestseller for nothing. It's a beautifully written book that makes you fall in love with it's characters and for that, I will always love it and her and her books. Unapologetically. And I get so excited everytime I think of my signed copy of On The Island!

Very excited for this release more than all the others

How To Love by Katie Cutogno. I want it NOW! And I'm so completely jealous of all of y'all who've read it already! Closely followed by Covet by Tracey Garvis Graves. So excited for this! Like, really really really!

Worst bookish habit

I cant think of any. Does being a terrible user of bookmarks count? I almost always forget to mark the place I'm reading and then have to hunt for it.

X Marks the spot: the 27th book of my shelf

The Host by Stephanie Meyer. Which is one book by her that I genuinely enjoyed, and I raved and ranted about it recently, and I just cant figure out WHY she cant give us a proper answer to whether or not she's going to write a sequel!

Your Latest Book Purchase

The Fault in Our Stars by John Green. I consider myself something of a book veteran, and it's very hard for a book to make me cry (movies are another matter entirely. I cry at almost every movie I watch). This book made me bawl. The ugly kind of bawling. I was at my aunt's house at the time, reading in bed with her next to me, and I had to quietly walk out and sob on the sofa in the living room. It was cathartic. I'm re-reading it right now. I have no doubt it will have the same effect on me. God, I love John Green.

ZZZ-snatcher book (latest book that kept you up way late)

Uninvited by Leah Spiegel and Megan Summers. It's SUCH a cute chick lit book and so funny, complete with a hot, sweet, snarky guy and you should totally read it!


Have you taken the survey too? Link your post in the comments!

1 comment :

  1. I read my first Linda Howard book in a while and can see why she ranked high on your list and I am a Roberts fan as well. This is such a cool idea!

    ReplyDelete

Leave a comment and say hi! Anything else is great too! :D

This blog is an award free blog. I'm truly honoured that you would think to nominate me, but unfortunately, things are really hectic for me what with juggling college, books, and blogging, and I find myself unable to spread the awards to other deserving bloggers.