Bout of Books 8.0 Read-a-thon Sign Up, Goals, & Updates

August 23, 2013

Bout of Books
The Bout of Books read-a-thon is organized by Amanda @ On a Book Bender and Kelly @ Reading the Paranormal. It is a week long read-a-thon that begins 12:01am Monday, August 19th and runs through Sunday, August 25th in whatever time zone you are in. Bout of Books is low-pressure, and the only reading competition is between you and your usual number of books read in a week. There are challenges, giveaways, and a grand prize, but all of these are completely optional. For all Bout of Books 8.0 information and updates, be sure to visit the Bout of Books blog. - From the Bout of Books team
 This is my second time participating in the Bout of Books read-a-thon and I'm pretty excited about it, especially since I'll also be hosting one of the challenges! Yay! :D

More on that later, but for now, here are my goals. I'm limiting them a bit, since I'll be having my exams soon after the read-a-thon, and I'll be caught up in prepping for them as well.

My Goals
 

  • Okay, so I made up my mind on what books to read. I got hold of the Roswell High books by Melinda Metz, which I started reading a couple of years back, after borrowing them from a library, but before I could finish them, the library closed down, and so I couldn't complete that series, and I always always wanted to. I've been searching ever since for them, and yay!, I just got them a couple of days back! So that's one of book goals for the week - to finish the Roswell series. The other is to re-read The Fault in Our Stars by John Green. It's funny that reading this book was on my goals the last time around too; this time I'm reading for it a book review thingy that's coming up in college next week. So yeah, those are my reading goals for the week! Sorry it's so long! :D
  • Take part in at least two challenges.
  • Take part in a Twitter chat
  • Write at least one review
  • Visit at least 3 blogs a day 
  • Meet and make more friends!
I'm super excited to be taking part in the read-a-thon this second time around. But what I'm really looking forward to is the interaction with other book bloggers and book lovers, which is always the fun part!

If you want to sign up, you still can. You can go to the official page by clicking the button above. And if you do sign up, or you already have, do leave me a comment below with a link to your sign up post. I'd love to talk books! :)
Updates
Monday
 
Books I've read today: The Outsider (Roswell High, #1), The Wild One (Roswell High, #2), The Seeker (Roswell High, #3)
Pages read today: 520
Books completed today: The Outsider (Roswell High, #1), The Wild One (Roswell High, #2), The Seeker (Roswell High, #3)
Running read-a-thon total: 520
Thoughts: I'm actually re-reading a few of these books, because I read the first 4 books like, a REALLY long time back, and I've forgotten everything. LOL I just realised these books are really short! They seemed much longer when I was younger :D

Tuesday

Books I've read today: The Watcher (Roswell High, #4), The Intruder (Roswell High, #5)
Pages read today: 344
Books completed today: The Watcher (Roswell High, #4), The Intruder (Roswell High, #5)
Running read-a-thon total: 864 (YAY!)
Thoughts: Eh... Max and Isabel? Let's see how that works out! Adam is creepy. How is it that each book has some sort of crisis situation? Huh. Well, I guess that's what a series is all about? I stopped at the end of The Intruder, because my Mum was kinda mad that I was reading for so long :D

Wednesday

Books I've read today: The Stowaway (Roswell High, #6), The Vanished (Roswell High, #7), The Rebel (Roswell High, #8)
Pages read today: 442
Books completed today: The Stowaway (Roswell High, #6), The Vanished (Roswell High, #7)
Running read-a-thon total: 1306
Thoughts: The last two books (Vanished and Rebel) have been a bit dragging, but I'm still sad to see this series coming to an end.

Thursday

Books I've read today: The Fault in Our Stars
Pages read today: 313
Books completed today:  The Fault in Our Stars
Running read-a-thon total: 1619
Thoughts: I took a break from alien land to get a nice dose of humour and reality and intellectualism and all round John Green experience. I cried. You know, I'm not a person who cries easily, especially for books, but the last time I cried was last night (i.e. Thursday night) when I finished this book, and the last time I cried before this was the first time I read this book, also during the Bout of Books Read-a-thon. Since I had to present a review of it in college today (Friday), you'll be seeing it soon on the blog! But it's not a proper review in my opinion, more of gushing appreciation of John Green awesomeness. 

Friday

Books I've read today: Out of My Mind by Sharon Draper
Pages read today: 105
Books completed today: Out of My Mind by Sharon Draper
Running read-a-thon total: 1724
Thoughts: I hadn't planned to read this book, but I bought it a few days back on a trip to the bookstore. It's very... different. But I like it :) I didn't get much reading done today, because, well, I had to study. Yeah, duty calls -_-

Saturday

Books I've read today: Out of My Mind by Sharon Draper
Pages read today: 190
Books completed today: Out of My Mind by Sharon Draper
Running read-a-thon total: 1914
Thoughts: I always enjoy reading the occasional Middle Grade book, and Out of My Mind is brilliant, just as the review say. I did however feel like some stuff was unrealistic, but I didnt really mind because the rest of the book is simply brilliant.

Sunday

Books I've read today: -
Pages read today: 0
Books completed today: -
Running read-a-thon total: 1914
Thoughts: Well, like I said at the beginning, I had my exams today (i.e., Monday) and had to study for it, so no book reading.
  Final Thoughts

Ok, so the week's done, and it's time to assess how well we've all done. Personally, I didn't end up completing any of my goals except two. But I'm not really disappointed about it. I read MUCH more than I had plans to read (I almost touched 2000, y'all! How cool is that?!) and I also wrote a review, which will be up on Wednesday, since I'll be MIA this week because of my exams. Which brings me to why I couldn't do as much as I wanted to. Exams, people. Those pesky little things that they keep bombarding you with at school. Blah.

But still, yay! I had loads of fun with the challenge too this Saturday, and I'm going through all the poems as I'm typing this, and the results will be up tomorrow by the latest, if not today. I'll contact the winners directly, as well as post the results on the blog, so you can all see!

Goodbye, Bout of Books! And until next time, happy reading, people! :D

17 comments :

  1. 3 books sounds very reasonable to me. Good luck!

    Vonnie's Plans

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really want to read that series! I loved watching the Roswell TV show, so I'd like to get around to reading the books someday....Good luck with your reading!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, you watched the TV series?! I so want to watch it, but I know its been off air for a looog time now, so no chance of that!

      Thanks, Kimberly! :)

      Delete
    2. It's up on Netflix if you happen to have an account with them

      Delete
  3. Good thinking and it's great you are limitating yourself to keep time to study
    i haven't watched roswell show and i never saw the book so you had me intrigued

    i will be back to check your challenge if not before^^

    good luck

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol I dont know if there's much 'studying' going on. But it's not bad, I guess, since the books are pretty short.

      Delete
  4. I've never even watched Roswell! I really enjoyed Melinda Metz Fingerprint series a long time ago though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Neither had I, before I saw the books :).

      Ooh I've never heard of that! I should check it out!

      Delete
  5. You're doing great so far! I haven't heard of Roswell before. I'm guessing it was it a 90's show lol. Judging by their clothes. And omg TFIOS is so good!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think so. Lol looking at it now, I dont know, it looks so... yesterday, but they were so in then, right? :D

      TFIOS!!! I know I know I know! I LOVE that book!

      Delete
  6. Love that you're reading The Fault in Our Stars! I still have to...I read the first couple of pages and already loved it, though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The same thing happened to me too! I read the first few chapters and then stopped, and then picked it up again during my last Bout of Books Readathon! :D It lives up to all the hype, though :)

      Delete
  7. Wow, you're flying through books! I hope you're enjoying the read-a-thon so far :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. TFioS is a GREAT book! I want to reread it, but I don't want to cry again. But I don't think that's possible, so I won't be rereading it any time soon. You've been doing great on your goals!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I had no idea there were Roswell novels! You've done so well with the read-a-thon! That's a lot of pages! I still haven't gotten around to TFiOS yet, I know I'm going to cry at it so that may be why.
    Good luck for the last day :D

    ReplyDelete

Leave a comment and say hi! Anything else is great too! :D

This blog is an award free blog. I'm truly honoured that you would think to nominate me, but unfortunately, things are really hectic for me what with juggling college, books, and blogging, and I find myself unable to spread the awards to other deserving bloggers.