Feature & Follow Friday #10

August 9, 2013


Feature and Follow Friday is a weekly meme hosted by Rachel at Parajunkee & Alison at Alison Can Read.

Question of this Week:
Back to School time! Create a reading list for the imaginary English Lit class you'll be teaching this semester.  

Answer:
Oooh... this is interesting! All through school and now college, I've been lucky to (mostly) have wonderful English teachers, and they've always been my favourites among all the teachers. I dont know, there's something about them... If they're brilliant they can just take you away from the classroom and into a whole new world, and I find that absolutely fascinating! I mean, we could do that for ourselves, yes, but for a class full of kids? That's something else!

And you know what? All through my childhood years, whenever I dreamt of being a teacher (we all did, didn't we?), I somehow always ended up being an English teacher in my head. So here's the reading list for my imaginary class of tweens (probably 8th Grade):

Im not sure, but I'm assuming they should be mostly classics? So here goes...

Fiction:
- Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen (that's like, A MUST!)

- To Kill A Mockingbird by Harper Lee
and something by Shakespeare (I dont know which, though. I cant choose)
- The Scarlet Pimpernal by Baroness Orczy
- Delirium by Lauren Oliver

Poetry:
- The Woods are Lovely Dark and Deep by Robert Frost
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night by Dylan Thomas
- Daffodils by William Wordsworth
- Where The Mind is Without Fear by Rabindranath Tagore

So tell me... what's on your lesson plan? Do we have any in common? Have you read any of these books or poems? If yes, what do you think about them? I'd love to know!



Follow on Bloglovin

12 comments :

  1. The Scarlet Pimperal is a book I've never heard of. Hm. I like the others you picked!

    Old follower

    My FF

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great choices - love P&P and I read it often.

    New follower

    Here's my FF: http://thehottieharem.blogspot.com/2013/08/feature-follow-1.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. +JMJ+

    It's so great that you remembered to include poetry! To your suggestions, I'd add Emily Dickinson, because of her unique style, and G.K. Chesterton, because we need a few funny poems in the mix, too! =)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just can't do Jane Austen. I keep seeing Jane Austen on everyone's lists... but I couldn't eeeek following on twitter ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really love To Kill A Mockingbird, and actually reread it last year (: new bloglovin follower

    Tina @ Pages of Comfort
    Pages of Comfort

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think this week is forcing me to read Pride and Prejudice! Lol! I like how you added poetry too! I didn't even think of that! Great class for sure!

    Old follower!

    My FF + Giveaway!

    Amber @Paradise of Pages

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ooooh I didn't even think to do a Poetry section. Nice choice of Robert Frost! As for Wordsworth, I tend to have ups and downs (maybe because we studied him so much in uni). Some of his poems I ADORE, others are so self-indulgent. The man has been the subject of many of my essays!

    New follower via Bloglovin' :) here's my FF

    - Allie x (Little Birdie Books)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nice list. Being in college now, I definitely have appreciated poetry much more, especially Woodsworth :)

    new follower via GFC & google plus
    http://myloveforfilmsandnovels.blogspot.com/2013/08/feature-follow-20.html

    ReplyDelete
  9. No ee cummings? Come' on now! ;)

    New follower!

    The Best Books Ever

    ReplyDelete
  10. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  11. great pick. I love Pride and Prejudice
    new follower at bloglovin and google+
    here is my Follow Friday

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love Pride and Prejudice - I've also included it in my list. In fact, I love all of Jane Austen's novels.

    New follower via Google + and Twitter.
    Here's my Follow Friday.

    ReplyDelete

Leave a comment and say hi! Anything else is great too! :D

This blog is an award free blog. I'm truly honoured that you would think to nominate me, but unfortunately, things are really hectic for me what with juggling college, books, and blogging, and I find myself unable to spread the awards to other deserving bloggers.