Review: Indelible by Dawn Metcalf

October 13, 2013

Title: Indelible
Author: Dawn Metcalf
Publication date: July 30, 2013
Publisher: Harlequin Teen
Genre: Young Adult, Fantasy
Rating:
Source: Publisher (via NetGalley)
Amazon | Goodreads
Some things are permanent.

Indelible.

And they cannot be changed back.


Joy Malone learns this the night she sees a stranger with all-black eyes across a crowded room—right before the mystery boy tries to cut out her eye. Instead, the wound accidentally marks her as property of Indelible Ink, and this dangerous mistake thrusts Joy into an incomprehensible world—a world of monsters at the window, glowing girls on the doorstep, and a life that will never be the same.

Now, Joy must pretend to be Ink’s chosen one—his helper, his love, his something for the foreseeable future...and failure to be convincing means a painful death for them both. Swept into a world of monsters, illusion, immortal honor and revenge, Joy discovers that sometimes, there are no mistakes.

Somewhere between reality and myth lies…

The Twixt.

The Yay!s:
- Originality. A whole other world hidden just under the seam of ours, with a completely different sense of time. How cool is that?!
- Joy and Ink together. The dynamics of their relationship is so interesting to read, with a lot of 'Aww' moments. Actually, they kind of reminded me of how I felt when I first read Twilight (yeah, in my addled sate, the book actually gave me warm, fuzzy feelings. I am glad to say that I have since seen the light). The way the relationship changes from Joy being fearful & Ink wary and unwilling, to Joy's melding into Ink's world, and the uncovering of Ink's more human side is gradual and heart warming.
- Creepy creatures! If you're one for all the creepy crawly stuff found in scary movies, then this is definitely for you. All the different (an sometimes not so scary, but still creepy) creatures in this book are to die for. They're all wonderfully visualised, and high on the creep factor.
- Supporting characters. Inq (Ink's sister), Craus Claude, and Kurt aee such interesting characters, each with their own story contributing to the whole, and making it that much more colourful.
- And seriously, did you think I'd forget the cover? Omg, that cover! I'm completely and utterly in love with it, despite what it represents. I admit I actually went in for this book after seeing the cover, but hey! it turned out great, didn't it? :D

The Meh!s:
- Joy. I wish she were a little bit stronger. I mean, seriously, you cant fall in love that easily and quickly, people, and that too with an other worldly creature who tried to cut out you eye. And really, why does she feel the need to call for Ink at every single turn? I'd have liked a heroine with bit more of a backbone.
- The love story. I dont see it going anywhere unless there's some BIG change in the next book. Joy is human and like all humans, will age, while Ink is not human, and wont. So unless that little issue is addressed, I really dont understand how things will be able to work out between the two of them.
- Ink changing himself physically so that parts of his body are an image of Joy. Um, creepy, anyone?
- The lack of a back story and world building. Sometimes, jumping right into the middle of things is great. But I would like some background atleast within the first quarter of the story, and that, I did not get.

Bottomline: It's fast paced and exciting, with great pairing, and just a few flaws. I'd say go for it if you dont mind the little hitches.

I Heart Reading: ...great potential, decent story, but the relationship between the characters was unbelievable and rushed...

Bookyurt: ...Dangerous, bizarre, and romantic, Indelible makes for a delicious paranormal read, and I for one can’t wait to see more of the Twixt.

Reading After Midnight: ...Besides the beautiful writing and the engaging world, the characters stand out as well...