The Big Finale: End of Year Book Survey

December 31, 2013

It wouldn't be an exaggeration to say that I've been looking forward to this post all year. Ever since I discovered book blogs back in the beginning of the year, almost everyone's been talking about The Perpetual Page Turner's End of Year Book Survey. And finally, finally, I get to take part too! Yay! :D

1. Best Book You Read In 2013?
Seriously? Book, as in singular? Haha, right. Like that's happening. My top 4 in no particular order are The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern, Into The Still Blue by Veronica Rossi, On The Jellicoe Road by Melina Marchetta and The Fault in Our Stars by John Green.

2. Book You Were Excited About & Thought You Were Going To Love More But Didn’t?
For Darkness Shows The Stars by Diana Peterfreund and How to Love by Katie Cotugno. Seeing the reaction that everyone had towards For Darkness Shows The Stars, I had high hopes for this one, but was let down by how much it borrowed from Persuasion, which took something away from the uniqueness of its own plot. How to Love turned out to be a very disappointing read, as it was one of my most anticipated books this year, and it ended up being a story with characters who didn't know their minds half the time. Blech.

3. Most surprising (in a good way!) book of 2013?
Anna and The French Kiss by Stephanie Perkins. I was expecting a cheesy chick lit after a look at the cover, and can you blame me? But it was surprisingly wholesome and coming of agey, and I loved it! Stephanie Perkins, you are now on my auto read/buy list!

4. Book you read in 2013 that you recommended to people most in 2013?
Umm... not much on the blog, because... okay, honestly, I dont know why I dont push books on the blog. But outside of here (i.e, the interwebs), I pushed The Fault in Our Stars by John Green to anyone who would listen. And I am proud to report that I managed to get a non-reader to read it and love it! Go me! 

5. Best series you discovered in 2013?
The Under The Never Sky series by Veronica Rossi, hands down! I love it so much, anything UTNS related is circled by hearts and flowers in my head. I'm going to be sad to see it end next year, but before that, I'm planning a farewell party with a bunch of other bloggers in the week leading up to Into The Still Blue's release! Keep an eye out for the official announcement soon! 
Another series that I think has some great potential is The Taking series by Melissa West. Its got aliens, people, and I never thought I could like anything alien-ey, but I do. Go figure.

6. Favorite new author you discovered in 2013?
I'm cheating. Stephanie Perkins, RAINBOW ROWELL (my utmost love and admiration for her warrants all caps), Melina Marchetta and John Green.

7. Best book that was out of your comfort zone or was a new genre for you?
The Daughter of Smoke and Bone by Laini Taylor. As a rule, I steer clear of books with angels or other heavenly beings in them. I stumbled upon The Daughter of Smoke and Bone quite by accident when I saw it recommended to those who loved The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern, and since the blurb sounded interesting, I picked it up. And boy, am I glad I kept on even though it was out of my comfort zone!

8. Most thrilling, unputdownable book in 2013?
These Broken Stars by Amie Kaufman and Meagan Spooner. It destroyed me, people. You should see how emo and swear words ridden the notes on my Kindle are. I was biting my nails with this one, and even praying at one point. Totally worth it!

9. Book You Read In 2013 That You Are Most Likely To Re-Read Next Year?
On The Jellicoe Road because I have a feeling its the kind of book from which you glean something new every time you read it. 

10. Favorite cover of a book you read in 2013?
Ooh there were so many pretty covers this year! If the question asked for the best cover I saw this year, whether or not I read the book, then its the covers of Shadow and Bone and Siege and Storm by Leigh Bardugo, which are elaborate, majestic and oh so beautiful and perfect. But since I have to pick a book I did read, it's Tumble & Fall by Alexandra Coutts. I didn't love the book, but the cover? I love her dress, and its got glittery starry stuff and oh gosh that ampersand and its so PRETTY!


11. Most memorable character in 2013?
Roar from Under The Never Sky because I he's an awesome friend I hope he's happy, and Josephine Alibrandi from Looking for Alibrandi by Melina Marchetta because she's my book sister.

12. Most beautifully written book read in 2013?
Me Before You by Jojo Moyes. This book made me feel so much that I never thought mere words on a page could make me feel. The way the author put her words together, dealt with the really sensitive subject, made her a star in my eyes.

13. Book that had the greatest impact on you in 2013?
Me Before You. This book hurt so much. I had a nice long sob while and after reading this, and it made me aware of an issue that I had no idea was even legal. It definitely gave me food for thought, and I'm still not decided on the subject. 

14. Book you can’t believe you waited UNTIL 2013 to finally read?
Haha. The Fault in Our Stars. But I was shit scared to read it, because it guaranteed a sad ending, and while I love books that make me cry, I not good at handleing sad endings.

15. Favorite Passage/Quote From A Book You Read In 2013?
I could literally quote the entirety of The Fault in Our Stars. But...

There will come a time when all of us are dead. All of us. There will come a time when there are no human beings remaining to remember that anyone ever existed or that our species ever did anything. There will be no one left to remember Aristotle or Cleopatra, let alone you. Everything that we did and built and wrote and thought and discovered will be forgotten and all of this will have been for naught. Maybe that time is coming soon and maybe it is millions of years away, but even if we survive the collapse of our sun, we will not survive forever. There was time before organisms experienced consciousness, and there will be time after. And if the inevitability of human oblivion worries you, I encourage you to ignore it. God knows that’s what everyone else does. 
- The Fault in Our Stars by John Green

16.Shortest & Longest Book You Read In 2013?
Shortest: Crossing The Line by Katie McGarry. I dont usually read novellas, but I was missing Katie McGarry's awesomeness at the time, so I went in for it, and it was fun!
Longest: Insurgent by Veronica Roth. I am unable to talk about this due to the sorrow that consumes me when I think of the fact that I am yet to read Allegiant.

17. Book That Had A Scene In It That Had You Reeling And Dying To Talk To Somebody About It? (a WTF moment, an epic revelation, a steamy kiss, etc. etc.) Be careful of spoilers!
These Broken Stars. That plot twist? I just about died. This is not the first time I'm saying this. And, Me Before You. I was like, HOW IS THIS EVEN POSSIBLE IN A BOOK? But yeah, I didn't have anyone to talk it over with, because no one I could talk to had read it, and the ones who had read it, I couldn't talk to, what with me being socially awkward and all that. Blah.

18. Favorite Relationship From A Book You Read In 2013 (be it romantic, friendship, etc).
Roar and Aria's friendship in the Under The Never Sky series is so beautiful to read, and I love Veronica Roth for not turning it into a love triangle. 

19. Favorite Book You Read in 2013 From An Author You’ve Read Previously
Looking for Alibrandi by Melina Marchetta changed my entire opinion about her. I could relate to Josie on so many levels, it was creepy. And now I love Marchetta for all time.

20. Best Book You Read In 2013 That You Read Based SOLELY On A Recommendation From Someone Else:
I's never heard of Hale Maree by Misty Provencher, and I'm sure I never would've picked it up had I seen it myself. But after reading Rachel's review at The Readers Den, I couldn't not read it, because I love the marry-first-love-later trope thingie. And while this book had its share of faults, it was the kind of cheesy, oh-so-romantic book that I wanted at the time.

21. Genre You Read The Most From in 2013?
YA Contemporary. (and to think that not so long ago, I stayed carefully away from the genre)

22. Newest fictional crush from a book you read in 2013?
Nah! I dont have crushes. I'm weird. But if I did? Cricket from Lola and The Boy Next Door. Nerd alert! He's my kind of guy ;)

23. Best 2013 debut you read?
The Sea of Tranquility by Katja Millay. This book gave me so many feels and made me a fan of Ms. Millay forever.

24. Most vivid world/imagery in a book you read in 2013?
I've got two for this one. The Under The Never Sky series and The Night Circus. The Night Circus has everything in it that I needed a book to have to be perfect, so yeah, it was perfecto!

25. Book That Was The Most Fun To Read in 2013?
Meant to Be by Lauren Morrill. Julia is a lot like me, with the OCD about grammatical correctness and being painfully shy, and it was such fun to read her adventures in Paris. This book made me laugh so much, and was an overall fun read that's perfect when you want to unwind.

26. Book That Made You Cry Or Nearly Cry in 2013?
Ooh favourite question. I love books that make me cry. Let's see... The Fault in Our Stars, Me Before You, Into The Still Blue and These Broken Stars. All perfect books that restores my faith in the power of words whenever its tested by awful books that just make me cringe. 

27. Book You Read in 2013 That You Think Got Overlooked This Year Or When It Came Out?
I think more people should read Maybe I Will by Laurie Gray. Not only does it tackle some sensitive subjects, but the author's approach to it is very unique and helps drive home the message that much more effectively. 


1. One Book You Didn’t Get To In 2013 But Will Be Your Number 1 Priority in 2014?
If You Find Me by Emily Murdoch, the Shatter Me series by Tahereh Mafi, the Throne of Glass series by Sarah J Mass and the Grisha series by Leigh Bardugo.

2. Book You Are Most Anticipating For 2014 (non-debut)?
Isla and The Happily Ever After by Stephanie Perkins. Even the title just makes me smile :)

3. 2014 Debut You Are Most Anticipating?
Side Effects May Vary by Judie Murphy. 

4. Series Ending You Are Most Anticipating in 2014?
That would be the end of the Shatter Me series. So that I can finally start reading the books, because all the flailing around after reading the end of Unravel Me has made me nervous about starting the series before it's ended. 

5. One Thing You Hope To Accomplish Or Do In Your Reading/Blogging In 2014?
Reading Life: Read more books than I did this year! (175 and counting :D) Pay more attention to quotable lines than I did this year.
Blogging Life: Start writing discussion posts. Get to know more bloggers, because I'm abysmal at connecting with others.


And that's all, folks! Wow! It was certainly tougher than I thought it would be, but so much fun to do! See you on the other side of 31st December! Happy New Year!